Maintaining the integrity of a below-grade insulated concrete form (ICF) wall (slab, crawl space, or basement) requires an application of the best ICF waterproofing, like Poly Wall® Home Stretch™ Peel’ N Stick ICF waterproofing membrane and TERM Water|Termite Barrier.
Strong, durable ICF foundations support a structure and give it protection against the forces of nature (like severe winds and earthquakes) by transferring the loads from the building to the ground. In addition, ICF foundations provide fire resistance.
However, the long-term integrity of an ICF foundation depends on ICF waterproofing products to protect against moisture infiltration through cracks and penetrations. Moisture that infiltrates an ICF below-grade wall can lead to unhealthy and structurally damaging mold that can also harm the property inside the building.
Fortunately, Poly Wall® offers two superior peel and stick foundation waterproofing systems for ICF walls (expanded and extruded polystyrene ICFs): Home Stretch™ Peel’ N Stick/ICF waterproofing membrane and TERM Water|Termite Barrier. You can also use our peel and stick waterproofing systems on poured concrete and concrete masonry unit (CMU) walls, or anywhere moisture and hydrostatic pressure threaten the foundation’s integrity.
ICF, poured concrete, and CMU walls all need waterproofing systems, but there are several significant problems that can lead to cracking and penetrations in poured concrete and CMU foundations.
Problems with Concrete Walls
- Moisture can leak through poured concrete walls through non-structural cracks, where the wall meets the floor, at the foundation wall’s top, or through the porous concrete.
- If prepared improperly, poured concrete may crack, allowing water to leak.
- Leaks may occur if the poured concrete foundation drops, settles, or sinks due to the soil below the foundation collapsing.
Problems with CMU Walls
- Improperly reinforced CMU produce weak foundations that are prone to leaks.
- Water and weather wear down the mortar used to join the CMU blocks, leading to leaks.
- If the moisture in the soil builds up around a structure, CMU block foundations can bow and buckle.
Poly Wall® Home Stretch™ Peel’ N Stick/ICF Waterproofing Membrane
Poly Wall designed and engineered Home Stretch™ Peel’ N Stick/ICF Waterproofing Membrane specifically for the ICF industry.
Self-adhering Home Stretch™ ICF, 40 mils thick sheet waterproofing membrane consists of a strong, pliable high-density polyethylene (HDPE) facing that is bonded to a rubberized asphalt waterproofing compound. We offer Home Stretch™ ICF in 36-inch wide by 66.7-foot long rolls for ease of handling and installing with a disposable treat release liner.
The Benefits of Poly Wall Home Stretch
Made in the USA and employee-owned, Poly Wall® has 60 plus years of successful waterproofing experience, and will provide superior protection for your ICF, poured concrete, and CMU foundation walls. Specific benefits of Poly Wall Home Stretch include:
- Factory controlled manufacturing ensures 40-mil uniform and consistent thickness.
- The side lap design delivers increased water tightness.
- The extended selvage edge provides asphalt-to-asphalt adhesion at the seam.
- It offers superior durability, puncture resistance, and tensile strength.
- When used with Polybond Clear Liquid Adhesive, you can apply Poly Wall Home Stretch in cold weather (25℉ and greater).
- It does not contain VOCs or produce odor.
- Release film does not easily tear, and will protect the adhesive layer.
- Effectively begins waterproofing immediately after installation.
Poly Wall Home Stretch Companion Products
Home Stretch™ ICF, used with our other waterproofing products (Home Stretch™ Water Based Liquid Adhesive, Poly Wall® Home Stretch™ Detail Tape, Poly Wall® Blue Barrier™ Joint Filler 2200, and Poly Wall® Arroyo™ Drain Board), create an effective and complete waterproofing system for your ICF, poured concrete, or CMU below-grade walls.
Poly Wall Home Stretch Water Based Liquid Adhesive
Poly Wall® Home Stretch™ Water Based Liquid Adhesive provides superior adhesion with all the Poly Wall® waterproofing and flashing membranes under most surface conditions. Applying the liquid adhesive to dry, dust- and frost-free surfaces conditions the surfaces before the application of Poly-Wall® Self-Adhering Membranes and Flashings.
Poly Wall Home Stretch Detail Tape
Strong, pliable, and self-adhesive Poly Wall® Home Stretch™ Detail Tape consists of a cross-laminated, high-density polyethylene (HDPE) backing that is bonded to a rubberized asphalt compound. You can use Poly Wall® Home Stretch™ Detail Tape to fabricate outside and inside corners, control joints, seal penetrations, cold joints, and damaged areas of Home Stretch™ Waterproofing Membrane.
Poly Wall Blue Barrier Joint Filler 2200
Poly Wall® Blue Barrier™ Joint Filler 2200 provides a structural adhesive and detail sealant to fill voids and seams and bond dissimilar materials.
Poly Wall Arroyo Drain Board
Poly Wall® Arroyo™ Drain Board (a sheet molded drain) establishes predetermined pathways for below-grade water management. The factory-applied fabric permits water to pass into the drain core to designated drainage areas while preventing the movement of soil particles that can clog the core. You can install Arroyo Drain Board Sheet Molded Drainage as a drainage plane and protection layer for Poly Wall post-applied waterproofing membranes and liquids.
Polyguard TERM Water and Termite Barrier
For structures needing protection from moisture and termites, TERM waterproofing with non-chemical termite barriers is an outstanding solution to water and termite protection.
Subterranean and Formosan termites that make their way through a foundation can warp and weaken the structural frame of a home or building, which can cost in the thousands of dollars to repair and diminish the value of your property. Termites can also ruin your paint, wallpaper, glazings, and anything made of cellulose in your home or building.
Polyguard TERM Barrier Systems Division specializes in sustainable pest barriers without pesticides, protecting against moisture, termites, energy, and radon in one building envelope solution. The TERM termite barrier application includes nine components.
- Term Water|Termite Sealant stops infiltration at slab penetrations.
- TERM® Sill Plate Barrier prevents moisture and termites from accessing wood framing members through concrete cracks or joints in the floor.
- TERM® Flashing Moisture|Termite Barrier provides waterproofing, energy sealing, and insect resistance.
- TERM™ Wood Floor Underlayment|Termite Barrier acts as a moisture barrier to protect wood flooring from moisture damage underneath the slab.
- TERM® Foundation Barrier stops water and termite intrusion.
- TERM® Underslab Barrier provides the base component of the TERM Barrier System.
- TERM® Particle Barrier for Termites prevents termites from climbing from the soil up the side of the exposed concrete.
- TERM Full Bath Trap Barrier and TERM Particle Barrier for Bath Traps blocks termites, fire ants, mice, rats, and moles entecontact the professionals at Polyguard®ring through bath traps (blockouts) in a concrete slab.
- TERM© Isolation Joint Barrier used in conjunction with TERM Particle Barrier, seals isolation joints (cold joints), that occur in the gaps where driveways, patios, and sidewalks connect with the structure.
Why You Need the Best ICF Waterproofing Membrane
The best waterproofing membrane system will protect your ICF, poured concrete, or CMU foundations walls from moisture intrusion, and will maintain the wall’s integrity against structurally damaging and unhealthy mold. Moisture can lead to costly repairs, long-term damage, and decreased property value.
Applying a quality waterproofing membrane, like Poly Wall® Home Stretch™ Peel’ N Stick/ICF waterproofing membrane or a TERM moisture and termite barrier, will protect your building or home’s integrity and value.
Don’t hesitate to contact the professionals at Polyguard® today for more on choosing the best ICF waterproofing membrane.