Window flashing tape provides a continuous front-line defense against unwanted moisture and air infiltrating the building envelope, which can produce structurally damaging mold and corrosion. Window flashing tape will also lower HVAC costs and improve air quality. The 2021 International Residential Code (703.4.1) and the International Building Code (1404.4) require the installation and flashing of windows according to manufacturers’ instructions. Roofers can also apply flashing tape to seal cracks securing shingles.
The Benefits of Window Flashing Tapes
Applying a top, self-adhered window seal tape, like PolyWall Window Flashing products, provides several significant benefits:
- Top flashing tapes come in lightweight, convenient rolls that you can easily store and apply, that provide a fast, no-mess, durable puncture-resistant sealant.
- Self-adhered flashings cover a tear or hole in the building with window waterproofing tape to prevent water from entering the building.
- High-performing and flexible flashings come in different sizes and shapes, making them easier to measure, stretch, bend, and fold.
- Quality window flashing rolls offer uniform thickness for easy measuring and application.
- Top flashing tape comes in many sizes and colors.
- When correctly installed, a quality flash tape’s design will accommodate the ground shifts and a building’s expansions and contractions with the weather and temperatures.
How to Choose a Top Window Flashing Tape
A top flashing tape for windows should provide durability and strength to last the lifetime of the windows. When selecting a top window flashing tape, you should consider the following features:
- Choose flexible flashing tapes because they will conform easily to any shape (unlike metal flashings), and will fold to form a waterproof end-dam on a windowsill.
- Sunlight can degrade some tapes, making them less effective over time. Therefore, you should select a quality flashing tape with sufficient UV-resistance.
- For cold weather applications, avoid modified-bitumen products that become less sticky at around 50°F and will not stick well below 40°F. A butyl-based (better) or acrylic-based (best) product provides a better choice for cold weather.
- In high temperatures (between 120°F and 180°F), tapes may soften. Therefore in extreme heat, select a high-temperature flashing.
- Select a tape that will safely stick to the substrate. You can refer to the manufacturers’ guidelines for this information and whether the substrate will require priming, particularly in cold weather. Generally, tapes will stick to clean, dust-free plywood, solid wood, metal, and vinyl substrates.
Top 4 Window Flashing Tapes by PolyWall
PolyWall building solutions offers four top window flashings that stop air and moisture infiltration to contribute to a building’s tight building envelope. All our window flashing products come in rolls with an easy-to-remove film release liner to efficiently and effectively flash window frames, door frames, and other construction seams, ensuring the long-term integrity of the seal, lessening repairs and maintenance.
1. WindowSeal® Window Flashing
Self-adhering, 20-mil WindowSeal® Window Flashing is a waterproof rubberized asphalt tape laminated to a polyethylene film. The design of WindowSeal® allows for application in ambient temperatures and surface temperatures between 40°F (5°C) and 120°F (49°C). However, using Poly Wall’s Polybond Liquid Adhesive can reduce the WindowSeal application temperature to 25°F (-4°C).
Six Benefits of WindowSeal® Window Flashing
- Its simple application improves its effectiveness and hastens the project timeline.
- Its self-sealing feature creates a smooth, watertight surface around staples, nails, and fasteners.
- It waterproofs the windows to stop the growth of damaging and unhealthy mold in sub-surfaces.
- It provides superior adhesion to enhance the application speed and productivity under various conditions.
- Its excellent elasticity resists cracking or tearing during structural movements.
- The product comes in rolls with an easy-to-remove film release liner to efficiently and effectively flash window frames, door frames, and other construction seams.
2. Butyl Flash Window Flashing
Self-adhering, self-sealing Butyl Flash Window Flashing tape consists of a rubberized asphalt waterproofing coating laminated to a polyethylene film. You can apply Butyl Flash Window Flashing in hot and cold temperatures, down to 15ºF (-9.4°C).
Seven Advantages of Butyl Flash Window Flashing
- The design of Butyl Flash window flashing allows for low-temperature applications. Its quick and easy application lessens the project’s timeline.
- It is self-sealing, which creates a smooth, watertight surface around staples, nails, and fasteners.
- It waterproofs the windows, preventing the growth of damaging and unhealthy mold in sub-surfaces.
- Its excellent adhesion improves the application speed and enhances productivity under various conditions.
- Its exceptional elasticity resists cracking or tearing during structural movements.
- It is 20 mils thick and comes in various roll sizes with an easy-to-remove film release liner to efficiently and effectively flash window frames, door frames, and other construction seams
3. Aluma Flash™ UV Resistant Window Flashing
Self-adhering, self-sealing tape Aluma Flash™ UV Resistant Window Flashing is a rubberized asphalt waterproofing coating laminated to a polyethylene film. It contains a top layer of aluminum that protects against UV exposure for 365 days. The 20 mils thick product comes in various roll sizes with an easy-to-remove film release liner to efficiently and effectively flash window frames, door frames, and other construction seams.
4. ArcFlash™ Window Flashing
70 mil, self-adhering, self-sealing ArcFlash™ is a waterproofing rubberized asphalt tape that laminates to a crimped, stretchable, high-strength polyethylene film backing. It is designed specifically for arched window flashing applications.
Five Benefits of ArcFlash™ Window Flashing
1. It can stretch to conform to round, curved, or fan-shaped spaces.
2. Its rubberized asphalt allows you to create a custom waterproof flashing design on any fenestration design.
3. It comes in rolls with an easy-to-remove release liner for mess-free application.
4. Self-adhering, self-sealing, ArcFlash™ tape seals around staples, nails, and fasteners, ensuring years of maintenance-free performance.
5. Its excellent elasticity resists tearing and cracking during structural movements.
Creating a Tight Building Envelope with PolyWall Window Flashing
Applying top window flashing tapes, like PolyWall Window Flashing products, will contribute significantly to a tight building envelope, lower energy use and improve air quality. They will also ensure the long-term integrity of the seal, which lessens maintenance and repair costs. Furthermore, self-adhering, flexible PolyWall flashing rolls hastens application time and provides an effective and long-lasting seal. They will also resist tearing due to structural movements.
Don’t hesitate to contact the professionals at PolyWall today for more on window flashing tapes.